Usually I dread the time change. I know you “get” an extra hour, but then it gets dark early and I just feel like I lose out somehow. Not this time! I woke up last Sunday so refreshed. I usually work later on Sundays so I had so much extra time to play in the kitchen.
I was craving something sweet and salty. I had some extra buttermilk left over from the weekend so I decided to create this buttermilk waffle recipe.
I am high maintenance when it comes to my kitchen utensils. At one point I had 3 waffle irons. Today I only have two. I used my smaller iron so I could get thin crispy waffle edges.
Side bar- can we talk about this butter right now? This butter has two ingredients: sweet cream and salt. It is so simple and pure. Perfect for these waffles. You may be thinking I’m being a tad dramatic right now. I promise when you use a high quality butter with fewer ingredients your recipes become magical! Most butters have a weird silicon-y slip to them. This does not. I used a European style from my local grocery store.
Okay back to the waffles. I used a mix of buttermilk, cinnamon, and vanilla to create a super delicious flavor. Added a little canola oil for the crunch. Then finished with a pinch of salt for the sweet salty combo I was craving.
- 1 cup of buttermilk ( I used lowfat)
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of AP flour
- 2 tbsp of pure vanilla
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- salted butter and maple syrup for topping!
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- I spray mine with canola spray.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add in the buttermilk.
- Lightly mix.
- Add the vanilla, oil and egg.
- Mix lightly until batter forms.
- Will still be slightly lumpy.
- It should resemble a cake batter. If it is too thick add buttermilk or too thin add a little flour.
- Pour on the waffle maker and cook to the irons timer.
- I like to cook mine on medium high (a 4) for that crispy edge.
- Top with your butter and syrup!
mmmm is there anything better??? If you make these please tag me! #kelliericecakes