What is better than a huge cheesy pizza folded in half to capture all the excess toppings? A hand pie crust filled with pizza toppings! All the goodness without the mess. I’m talking bubbling melted mozzarella, juicy veggies, garlic and marinara in a crispy crust. Did I mention kid friendly? My boyfriend’s kids were highly skeptical, but once they bit into them and realized it was pizza it was two thumbs up!
I have seriously been trying to pack every meal with veggies lately. This hand pie has red peppers, green peppers, yellow onions, olives, mushrooms – so easy to customize. I would have added jalapenos, but the jar I had was so spicy. As in unbelievably spicy. You know how you can go to Subway on a Monday and have their jalapenos and they are perfect, but you go a few days later and they are miniature fire bombs? I think that is what is going on with these. I just happened to buy a jar filled with all the seeds from the other jars.
These hand pies are different from calzones because I skipped the ricotta and added marinara. You do not have to put the sauce inside the hand pie. I just prefer the sauce to cook into the veggies. Just make sure you go fairly light so it does not spill out the sides.
- Pizza dough
- Egg wash (1 egg yolk plus water)
- Assorted veggies
- Sliced olives
- Sliced mushrooms
- Mixture of Italian cheese – provolone, mozzarella, Parmesan
- Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal balls.
- Roll out into 4 equal ovals on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of marinara over the center of the dough. Do not get too close to the edge. Leave about an inch.
- Add the pepperoni and veggies.
- Top with a handful of shredded cheeses.
- Pull one side of the dough over the topping to meet the opposite edge.
- Use a fork to crimp the dough together.
- Roll the crimp one time and use the fork or fingers to pinch down again.
- It is important to add the extra roll over the dough edge to keep all those toppings locked up.
- Use a knife to cut 3 slits on the top to let steam out.
- Brush egg wash over crust.
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 20 minute until crust is golden brown.
- Keep an eye on them because they cook very fast. I cooked mine for 25 minutes. I should have pulled them out a few minutes earlier.
I hope you enjoy! This is one of my favorite meals. It is quick and easy with a fast clean up. I highly recommend heating the rest of the marinara with some crushed red pepper and olive oil for dipping! Yum!